Beer is an alcoholic drink that people often prefer to consume with certain meals. This alcoholic beverage has a higher amount of vitamin B and protein compared to wine, whereas it has the same antioxidant content as that of wine.
In addition, beer is an excellent source of some minerals that play an important role in many metabolic processes. It is high in flavonoids that act as potent antioxidants.
Contrary to what you may expect, consuming beer in moderate amounts is good for you. This means that the health benefits of this alcoholic beverage become prominent in case it is consumed in moderation.
Many studies have proven that beer can offer various surprising health benefits although it is often considered to be unhealthy. But, keep in mind we are talking about moderate beer consumption (2 drinks for men and 1 drink for women on a daily basis), not all-night drinking sprees.
If Consumed in Moderate Amounts, Beer Can Improve Your Health in Many Different Ways:
- In case you drink a beer a day, you will be at a lower risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. Namely, beer possesses vitamin B6, a vitamin that helps protect against heart disease by preventing the accumulation of a compound known as homocysteine. Moreover, it has actually a thinning effect on the blood and can prevent blood clot formation, thus preventing blocks in the coronary arteries.Furthermore, moderate consumption of this alcoholic beverage can also decrease the risk of inflammation and build-up of plaque in blood vessels, which are the main culprits of atherosclerosis. Recent research has confirmed that beer consumers had a 60% lower risk of a heart attack that those who did not consume beer.
- The consumption of a beer a day has been found to contribute to a 40% lower risk of kidney stones. Beer is low in sodium and rich in potassium. It is also abundant in magnesium, which leads to a lower risk of kidney stones.
- Moderate beer consumption has been found to elevate bone density, thus reducing the risk of fractures and osteoporosis. The high amount of silicon found in this beverage is readily absorbed by the body, thus preventing osteoporosis.
- Drinking one beer a day can optimize your B vitamin levels since the beverage is high in vitamins B1, B2, B6 and B12.
- The vitamins present in beer can make your skin smooth, youthful, and healthier. Drinking a beer a day can also make your skin regenerated and reduce pigmentation.
- The lactoflavin and nicotinic acid present in beer can also help you fall asleep quickly.
- According to a study carried out at the University of Montreal, 2 glasses of beer a day can significantly decrease stress.
- Consuming beer in moderate amounts has also been associated with a reduced risk of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
- Preedy, Victor. ”Beer in Health and Disease Prevention”;
- Bamforth, Charles. ”Beer: Health and Nutrition”;