If your body is too acidic, your immune system cannot fight off bacteria, viruses, illnesses, and cancer.
Chronic stress, sleep deprivation, smoking, and the food you eat on a daily basis affect your body’s pH balance.
When you consume acid-promoting foods, like sugar, meat, grains, and dairy, your body starts using alkaline-promoting minerals, including potassium, magnesium, sodium, and calcium to neutralize the acid created from metabolizing these foods.
In case you do not consume enough alkaline-promoting foods to replenish these minerals, then your body uses minerals from your bones and vital organs to neutralize the acid.
In short, the mineral reserves in your body can reach low levels and contribute to damage, which can go undetected for months or even years.
Moreover, your body’s metabolism produces acidic waste materials that should be neutralized or eliminated. So, you should provide your body with alkalizing minerals to stimulate it to neutralize or eliminate these acidic waste materials and keep optimal pH balance.
Mild Acidosis Can Lead to the Following Ailments:
According to the Arizona Respiratory Center at the University of Arizona, the regular consumption of acid-forming foods may result in malignant cell and tumor growth.
Other health issues related to mild acidosis include:
- Increased free radical damage
- Acne and allergies
- Elevated lactic acid, muscle and joint pain
- Migraines, chronic headaches, insomnia, and mental fog
- Osteoporosis, bone spurs, and a higher risk of bone fractures
- Nausea, vomiting, and dramatic bowel fluctuations
- Premature aging
- Elevated oxidative stress
- Bladder and kidney infections
- Excessive weight gain
- Cardiovascular problems, such as arrhythmias and vasoconstriction
- Chronic lethargy
- Excessive fungal and yeast growth
- Respiratory problems
- Back, neck and sciatica problems
- Immunodeficiency disorders
- Sensitive and inflamed gums
How to Use pH Strips to Test Your Body’s Alkalinity or Acidity:
You should test your pH levels to detect if your body’s pH requires instant attention. You can use pH test strips to detect your pH factor.
In case the pH level of your urine is between 6.5 and 7.0 in the evening and between 6.0 and 6.5 in the morning, then your body functions within a healthy range.
In case the pH level of your saliva is between 6.5 and 7.5 throughout the day, then your body also functions within a healthy range. Ideally, you should test your pH an hour before your meal and 2 hours after your meal. Make sure you test your pH 2 days within a week.
Caution: The pH reading you get when testing your saliva or urine is not the pH of your internal environment. It is actually the pH of these fluids, which your body eliminates. However, the pH of these fluids is a good indicator of what happens inside your body.
Balancing Your Body’s pH Levels
Your body autonomously balances its own pH levels. Specifically, when it becomes too acidic, your blood takes alkaline-promoting elements from the digestive enzyme systems of your small intestine. It builds a good environment for optimal digestion.
As a result of this, eating acid-forming foods could increase your risk of various disorders and diseases.
Foods can have an acid-forming or alkaline-promoting effect on your body:
Although citric foods like oranges and lemons are acidic in nature, they have an alkaline-promoting effect on your body.
Here is a list of alkaline-promoting and acid-forming foods:
Simple Tips on How to Maintain an Optimal pH Balance:
- Check your pH level on a regular basis
- Minimize your consumption of acid-forming foods
- Eliminate highly processed foods and junk food from your diet
- Consume green juices or smoothies
- Substitute dairy milk for almond or coconut milk
- Consume lots of pure water
- Reduce your stress levels through meditation
- Use collard greens and lettuce leaves as wraps
- Get regular exercise
- Brown, Susan. ”The Acid-Alkaline Food Guide: A Quick Reference to Foods & Their Effect on pH Levels”;
- Cook, Michelle. ”The Ultimate pH Solution: Balance Your Body Chemistry to Prevent Disease and Lose Weight”;