Celery is an amazing vegetable that belongs to the Umbelliferae family. Moreover, celery ribs are usually used to make salads or soups. As they have a salty taste, the juice of this vegetable is an excellent addition to almost any sweeter fruit juice.
Nutritional Value of Celery:
The leaves of celery are rich in vitamin A, whereas the stems are abundant in vitamin C, vitamins B6, B2, and B1. They are also high in essential amino acids, phosphorus, iron, potassium, magnesium, calcium, folate, and sodium.
The natural sodium found in this vegetable is safe for consumption. It is actually crucial to the human body. Even salt-sensitive people can safely consume the sodium found in celery. They should avoid consuming regular table salt since it is high in sodium that can increase their blood pressure levels.
Although the cooking process destroys the nutrients in a number of foods, it does not destroy the health-promoting compounds in this veggie.
Healing Properties and Health Benefits of Celery:
– Promotes Electrolyte Balance: Celery juice serves as a remarkable post-workout tonic since it can replace the lost electrolytes and provide your body with many incredible minerals.
– Neutralizes Acidity: Celery juice possesses essential minerals that can balance your body’s blood pH levels and neutralize acidity.
– Provides Constipation Relief: Celery acts as a natural laxative. This means that it can help alleviate constipation. Additionally, it can also help relax nerves, which have been overworked by commercial laxatives.
– Serves as a Natural Diuretic: The sodium and potassium present in the juice can help regulate body fluid and induce urine production. This can help your body eliminate excess fluid.
– Regulates Body Temperature: Consume a glass of celery juice 2-3 times on a daily basis between meals during dry and hot weather. It can help regulate your body temperature.
– Lowers Inflammation: The polyacetylene found in the veggie can reduce inflammation and help in cases of various inflammatory conditions such as bronchitis, asthma, gout, osteoarthritis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
– Reduces LDL Cholesterol: Celery juice can greatly decrease total and LDL cholesterol levels.
– Regulates Blood Pressure: As mentioned above, the organic sodium found in celery can regulate blood pressure levels. The regular consumption of celery juice for 1 week can help decrease high blood pressure. In addition, a compound known as phtalides can help relax the muscles around the arteries, dilate the vessels and leave the blood to flow properly. So, it is advisable to consume the juice for a week, take a break of 3 weeks, and repeat it once more.
– Detoxifies the Kidneys and Enhances Kidney Function: The consumption of celery helps your body remove toxins and waste materials, thus promoting optimal kidney function. It can also prevent kidney stone formation.
– Breaks down Urinary Stones: The juice serves as a natural diuretic that can also help break down and eliminate gallbladder and urinary stones.
– Calms the Nervous System: The juice is high in alkaline minerals that have a calming and relaxing effect on the nervous system. As a result of this, celery juice is an excellent beverage for insomniacs.
– Helps Prevent or Fight Cancer: This vegetable possesses about 8 types of anti-cancer compounds. Some of these compounds include acetylenics, phenolic acids, and coumarins. Acetylenics have been found to inhibit tumor cell growth. Furthermore, phenolic acids can inhibit the action of prostaglandins that stimulate tumor cell growth. Additionally, coumarins can help protect against the damaging effects of free radicals. They can also prevent the development and formation of stomach and colon cancers.
– Promotes Weight Loss: Consume celery juice on a daily basis because it can curb your food cravings and promote weight loss.
You should always opt for green celery since it is abundant in chlorophyll. Make sure the ribs of the veggie are firm. You should store celery in the fridge in a plastic bag or a sealed container.
Avoid keeping it at room temperature because it wilts very quickly. In case the veggie has wilted, simply sprinkle it with some water and keep it in the refrigerator for several hours.
Celery is a succulent veggie, which produces “pesticide” to protect itself from many different types of fungi. It is actually a protective layer known as psoralens. But, it may lead to skin issues in some people.
In case you experience skin issues after consuming celery, then you may have psoralens sensitivity.
Also, some people who have low blood pressure found that celery reduces their blood pressure. So, in case you experience low blood pressure, you may want to avoid eating this vegetable.
- Fortunato, Mario. ”Natural Cures – Discover The Powers of Fruits and Vegetables: Healthy Foods – Healthy Eating Now, Natural Foods to Feel Better Now, Your Natural Cures Superfoods”;
- Mateljan, George. ”The World’s Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating”;