Chia seeds have been used since ancient times thanks to their therapeutic properties. It is considered that the Aztecs firstly started using the seeds as a part of their religious ceremonies, a food, and a natural medicine.
Moreover, chia seeds are packed with fiber, protein, omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. The regular use of the seeds can significantly improve digestion, burn fat, regenerate the skin, and strengthen the entire body.
In addition, nutritionists typically suggest eating the seed to boost energy. Hence, many athletes usually consume it to boost their energy levels and enhance their endurance.
Unbelievably, there is about 37% nutritional fibers in chia seeds, which improve the function of intestines. Therefore, medical experts claim that a diet rich in the seed can effectively prevent the development of colon cancer.
Here Are the Health Benefits of Chia Seeds and Why You Should Introduce Them in Your Diet Right away:
- The seeds could control blood sugar levels and therefore they should be consumed by those suffering from diabetes.
- Chia seeds can be used as an excellent egg substitute, so combine them with water to prepare a gel and then use it in various dishes.
- The seeds do not contain gluten.
- They are an incredible source of fiber, which can help in the treatment of many digestive problems.
- There is 20% protein in the seeds.
- The seeds possess 20% of omega 3 fatty acids that is 8 times higher than that present in salmon. As a result of this, they are considered as an extraordinary food that supports heart and brain health.
- They can improve the condition of skin, hair, and nails.
- Chia seeds include 3 times higher iron content than spinach.
- The seeds act as an exceptional antioxidant agent because they contain 4 times greater amount of antioxidants than blueberries.
- There are 8 different types of amino acids in the seeds.
- They possess 7 times higher vitamin C content than oranges.
- Chia seeds have 2 times greater potassium content than bananas.
- The seeds are 5 times richer source of calcium than milk.
How to Consume Them:
The recommended daily amount of chia seeds is 1 tablespoon. Also, it is advisable to consume plenty of water because the seeds are abundant in fiber. As chia seeds have mild and pleasant taste, consider adding them into your salads or smoothies. That’s not all, they can also be added to the dough for bread and muffins.
Furthermore, the seeds can also be combined with coconut oil, almonds, pineapples for much easier consumption.
Plus, place them in a container with water and leave them to soak for about 15 minutes. The seeds will become 20 times larger than their original size, which can keep you full longer.
- Morgan, Ellie. ”Chia Seeds: Health Benefits and Healing Powers of Chia Seed”;
- Coates, Wayne. ”Chia: The Complete Guide to the Ultimate Super-food”;
- Born, Daniel. ”Chia Seeds: Chia Seeds Facts, Nutrition, Benefits, And Recipes For Weight Loss, Energy, And Overall Health”;