A common cold is typically triggered by a mild viral infection. It is characterized by a runny or blocked nose, sore throat, sneezing, cough, etc. This common health issue actually affects the throat, nose, sinuses as well as upper airways. In addition, the symptoms usually go away within a few days.
In some cases, you can also experience headache, fever or a high temperature, and aching muscles, even though these symptoms tend to be linked more to flu.
On the other hand, flu is an upper respiratory infection that may develop into a more serious condition like pneumonia. Unlike the common cold that can occur at any time of year, the flu is usually seasonal. The most common symptoms of flu include a sore throat, dry cough, stuffy and runny nose, fever, severe muscle or body aches, shaking chills, headache, and extreme fatigue that can last up to 15 days.
Here Are 2 Natural Remedies that Can Reduce the Severity and Duration of a Common Cold and Flu:
Homemade Antibiotic Remedy
The remedy includes herbs and foods with potent antiviral, antibacterial, anti-parasitic and antifungal properties. They are rich in vitamin C, probiotics, and enzymes.
The combination of all these ingredients is extremely effective at reducing the symptoms of some digestive problems, nausea, heartburn, upset stomach, indigestion, and diarrhea. It can also help in cases of colds.
- 2 garlic cloves
- Half an inch piece of ginger or ¼ tsp. of ground ginger
- 1 inch piece of turmeric or half a tsp. of ground turmeric
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 oz. of raw, organic apple cider vinegar
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Half an inch piece of horseradish
- Half an onion
- First of all, you should peel the lemon and garlic cloves.
- Then, place the lemon, ginger, horseradish, onion, turmeric, and garlic in a juicer.
- Another option is to blend the ingredients and then strain the liquid.
- Next, you should add the cayenne pepper and ACV.
- Pour the resulted mixture in an airtight glass container.
- It is recommended to consume 1 oz of the remedy as soon as you experience the symptoms, up to 3 times on a daily basis.
Homemade Flu Tonic
The ingredients used in the remedy have incredible anti-inflammatory properties that can alleviate and soothe sore throat pain. The remedy can also reduce the symptoms of coughing. It can also relieve nausea and other stomach issues.
- 1 tbsp. of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp. of raw, organic honey
- Start by peeling and dicing the ginger and then place the water, ginger, and cinnamon in a saucepan with lid.
- Next, cover it and boil the water.
- Afterwards, remove the lid, reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Then, strain the liquid, transfer it into a mug and add the lemon juice and honey.
- You can pour the extra tonic in a covered container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- You can also reheat it when needed.
- Prevention Health Books. ˮThe Doctors Book of Home Remedies for Colds and Fluˮ;
- Mayo Clinic. ˮThe Mayo Clinic Book of Home Remedies: What to Do For The Most Common Health Problemsˮ;