Marshmallows are regarded as a staple for Thanksgiving classics, camping trips, desserts, and hot cocoa. Although this food is free of fat, it is loaded with refined sugar.
A regular marshmallow possesses nearly 4g of refined sugar. However, you probably don’t consume only one marshmallow, but a cup of marshmallows that possesses about 29g of sugar. Additionally, this amount of sugar exceeds the recommended daily sugar intake of about 10g.
Refined Sugar May Contribute to Many Health Issues
Keep in mind that refined sugar, like high fructose corn syrup and sucrose, has been associated with long-term health issues.
Following a diet high in refined sugar has been associated with a negative impact on the brain like declined memory ability and neuroplasticity. Also, it has been connected to food addiction, energy crashes, weight gain, high levels of inflammation, insulin resistance, diabetes, acne, depression, dementia, heart disease, infertility, and more.
Consuming too much refined sugar can also increase your risk of a few types of cancer, including pancreatic cancer.
How to Make Homemade and Healthy Marshmallows
Here is how to prepare honey-sweetened marshmallows that are free of refined sugar. Also, you may want to prepare them by using cocoa powder or coconut flakes.
You will substitute store-bought marshmallows for these delicious homemade marshmallows. However, like any other food, make sure you eat them in moderate amounts.
- Half a cup of raw, organic honey
- Half a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Half a cup of water (cold)
- One and a half tablespoons of grass-fed gelatin (you may also use agar agar for a vegan version)
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- Start by lightly greasing a loaf pan and cover it by using parchment paper.
- Next, grease the paper and then pour a quarter cup of the water into a mid-sized bowl.
- Add the gelatin to the water and then leave it to soften.
- Add the other quarter cup of the water, honey and salt to a small pot and heat it. Make sure you bring it to about 240 degrees by using a candy thermometer. (As it is a bit of liquid, you may have trouble getting the right temperature. Furthermore, it is important to know that it often takes about eight minutes for this to reach the right temperature.)
- Afterwards, you should remove it from the heat.
- Mix in the hot mixture into the gelatin mixture with a hand mixer on low.
- When you get a smooth mixture, add the vanilla extract and elevate the speed to high.
- You should beat it, until it becomes fluffy and thick (about 15 minutes.)
- Then, scrap it into the pan and allow it to dry (uncovered) for about 5-12 hours.
- Finally, cut it into squares.
- Cocoa Version: All you need to do is roll the cut marshmallows in some cocoa powder.
- Coconut Version: Simply toast half a cup of unsweetened coconut flakes and sprinkle half of the flakes on the bottom of your pan. Then, scrap in the marshmallow mixture, and use the rest of them to sprinkle it.
- Kirk, Castle. ˮHealthy Dessert Recipes: Enjoy Mouthwatering Healthy Desserts: Low Fat Cheese Cake, Chocolate Peppermint Cookies, Tiramisu Bread Pudding and More!!!ˮ;
- Rock, Gordon. ˮThe Ultimate Marshmallow Cookbook: 30 Diverse Gourmet Marshmallow Recipes for Marshmallow Lovers of all ages. Find Indulgent Sweet & Gooey Recipes for all year roundˮ;