Celery is a vegetable similar to fennel and parsley and belongs to the Umbelliferae family. This veggie can grow up to 16 inches high. The white celery contains a smaller amount of chlorophyll than its greener counterparts.
Celery ribs can be added in salads or soups. They are crunchy and have a salty taste and therefore the juice of this veggie can be mixed with some sweeter fruit juices.
Nutritional Value of Celery:
This vegetable is packed with powerful antioxidants and beneficial enzymes. Moreover, it is an incredible source of vitamins, including vitamin C, K, B1, B2, and B6. The leaves of celery are especially rich in vitamin A, whereas the stems are abundant in essential amino acids, calcium, potassium, iron, magnesium, sodium, phosphorus, and sodium.
In addition, celery’s naturally occurring sodium is completely safe for consumption. This mineral is of vital importance for optimal health. Namely, even hypertension sufferers can take the sodium present in celery, unlike table salt since it can increase their blood pressure levels.
Unbelievably, none of the beneficial properties of celery are lost during cooking.
Healing Properties of Celery:
Celery consumption offers positive results for high blood pressure patients. That’s not all, if celery is mixed with other juices, it could help in the treatment of many other ailments.
Here are some of the most important health benefits of celery juice:
– Maintains a Healthy pH Balance: Thanks to the potent minerals present in celery juice, it can keep an optimal blood pH balance in the body and neutralize acidity.
– Re-hydrates the Body: Celery juice can effectively replace lost electrolytes as well as re-hydrate the body as a result of its excellent minerals. Specifically, it serves as an amazing post-workout tonic, so that it can be consumed by athletes.
– Reduces High Blood Pressure Levels: As mentioned previously, celery possesses organic sodium, which can lower blood pressure. It has been found that the daily consumption of celery juice for a week greatly helps in reducing blood pressure. To be more specific, it contains phtalides, which is a compound that could relax the muscle around arteries, dilate the vessels and boost blood flow. For best results, consume the juice for a week, make a break of 3 weeks, and than consume it again.
– Helps in Fighting Cancer: According to recent studies, celery may also help in fighting cancer. The results have shown that this vegetable possesses many cancer-fighting properties, including acetylenics, coumarins, and phenolic acids. The first could inhibit tumor cell growth, whereas the second help prevent free radical damage. Additionally, the third may block prostaglandin action and stop tumor cell growth.
It has been also found that coumarins help in the prevention of stomach and colon cancers.
– Lowers Bad Cholesterol: Consuming celery juice regularly decreases bad cholesterol levels.
– Fights Constipation: Celery consumption offers natural laxative effects, thus alleviating constipation.
– Keeps Optimal Body Temperature: You can effectively normalize your body temperature by consuming 3 glasses of celery juice during dry and hot weather.
– Offers Great Diuretic Effects: Consuming celery juice helps control body fluids and boost urine production due to its high potassium and sodium content. It can also help in the elimination of excess fluids.
– Acts as a Remarkable Inflammatory Agent: This vegetable is rich in polyacetylene, which can reduce inflammation and help in cases of gout, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, bronchitis, and asthma.
– Detoxifies the Body and Promotes Excellent Kidney Function: As celery helps in removing the harmful toxins from the body, it can detoxify your body, prevent kidney stone formation, and support healthy kidney function.
– Keeps a Healthy Nervous System: It abounds in organic alkaline minerals that can calm your nervous system. Furthermore, celery juice is a fantastic option for those experiencing insomnia.
– Decreases Food Cravings and Helps in Weight Loss: In case you want to accelerate the process of losing weight, consider drinking celery juice daily. In this way, it can help in reducing food cravings and promoting weight loss.
– Helps in Urinary Stone Elimination: Celery juice acts as a marvelous diuretic, so that it helps break and remove urinary and gall bladder stones.
How to Consume It:
Always buy green celery as it contains a high content of chlorophyll.
Also, it is advisable to purchase celery with firm ribs.
You should always keep this vegetable in the fridge since it can wilt quickly if kept at room temperature. Before keeping it in the fridge, consider wrapping the celery in a plastic bag or placing it in a sealed container.
But, in case the veggie has wilted, just sprinkle it with some water and store it in the refrigerator for several hours.
This vegetable contains pesticide known as psoralens, which protects it from fungi. However, this pesticide can lead to side effects in those who are sensitive to psoralens. So, in case you notice any skin issues after consuming celery, you may be sensitive to psoralens.
Plus, some people who have low blood pressure claim that celery consumption leads to a greater reduction of their blood pressure levels.
– Gibbons, Gail. ”The Vegetables We Eat”;
– Stafford, Julie. ”Juicing for Health”;
– Fortunato, Mario. ”Natural Cures – Discover The Powers of Fruits and Vegetables: Healthy Foods – Healthy Eating Now, Natural Foods to Feel Better Now, Your Natural Cures Superfoods”;