Mold is a type of fungus, which grows in filaments and spreads by forming tiny spores. In general, mold grows in humid, warm, and damp places. Not only it is present in bathrooms, but it can also be found everywhere. Unfortunately, you may ingest or breathe this toxic substance on a daily basis, without even knowing it.
Mold Can Be Found Everywhere
Mold tolerates damp, poorly ventilated areas like basements, bathrooms, and anywhere there is water.
Moreover, it often starts with a small leak behind the shower or in the roof. Additionally, flood that was not adequately cleaned can cause the mold to multiply under the floors or behind the drywall.
That’s not all, the mold could also be brought into your house by contaminated materials during construction like untreated wood or any other construction material. What’s more, it can also appear in a dirty HVAC system, where moisture and dust have been accumulating for several months or a few years.
However, certain foods, such as nuts, grains, chocolate, wine and coffee, can also be prone to mold.
In case you are exposed to mold, it can negatively affect your immune system, and lead to many illnesses that usually take several months or years to be diagnosed.
Therefore, you should learn to recognize the signs and symptoms of mold toxicity.
What Is Mold Toxicity?
Although all molds are not toxic or dangerous, there are some poisonous and even life-threatening types known as mycotoxins. They are actually hard to get rid of or destroy once they take hold in your house or even in your body.
In addition, these mycotoxins can contaminate your draperies, furniture, clothes, and linens.
If they enter your body, they can weaken your immune system, thus leading to negative effects on your brain, nervous system, joints, and more.
In many cases, these toxins can trigger severe and irreversible damage. Over time, this can result in many serious diseases, including cancer.
In 2005, the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture published a study showing that acute toxicity occurs very quickly and has a specific toxic response. On the other hand, chronic toxicity is triggered by low-dose exposure over a long period, thus contributing to cancers and many other irreversible effects.
Furthermore, Applied and Environmental Biology published a study suggesting that approximately 28% of North Americans are genetically susceptible to experience negative effects of mold exposure.
The results also showed that the dampness, i.e., the ideal breeding ground for mold and fungi, is found in about 50% of buildings and homes in North America. In short, the growth of mold and fungi is a problem in about 40% of North American homes.
Here Is How to Detect if You Suffer from Mold Illness:
Physicians and other medical professionals cannot easily detect the problem with mold poisoning and mold allergies. So, they often tell their patients that their symptoms do not indicate a serious health issue.
But, many recent studies have shown that the effects of mold can be dangerous and even life-threatening to certain people.
As mentioned above, if you are chronically exposed to mold, then you may experience mild symptoms. However, as your body starts becoming overwhelmed, you will experience more specific symptoms.
Unluckily, you can be misdiagnosed since the symptoms of mold toxicity are similar to those of many other diseases such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Celiac disease, Lyme disease, etc.
The Most Common Symptoms of Mold Poisoning Include:
- Sensitivity to light
- Blurred vision
- Tingling and numbness
- Food sensitivities or GI problems
- Auto-immune problems
- Inflammatory problems
- Mood swings
- Weight fluctuation
- Sleep issues
- Joint pain
- Memory loss, confusion, or brain fog
- Neurocognitive problems
Also, in case you have a compromised immune system, the mold may actually attack your eyes, skin, lungs, and other body organs, thus contributing to renal failure and lung cancer.
How to Minimize Your Exposure to Mold:
- First of all, you should test your environment. You should use the Environmental Relative Moldiness Index or (ERMI) because it is developed by the Environmental Protection Agency. It is known to be one of the most accurate mold tests.
- Next, you may want to find an environmental professional to do a visual inspection of your home. They can help detect the source of the mold as well as make all necessary repairs to leaks, clear air exchanges, eliminate contaminated materials, and more.
- Afterwards, you need to consult a doctor who specializes in mold problems. For instance, you should find a doctor trained in the “Shoemaker Protocol”.
- Once you have detoxified your body, you should minimize your consumption of foods that possess or feed yeast, fungus, and mold, like sugars and carbohydrates. Simply follow a Candida Diet. Plus, you should also take supplements, including olive leaf, activated charcoal, or glutathione.
- Finally, learn more about mold toxicity and mold illness.
- Shoemaker, Ritchie. ˮSurviving Mold: Life in the Era of Dangerous Buildingsˮ;
- Fabry, Andrea. ˮIs Your House Making You Sick? A Beginner’s Guide to Toxic Moldˮ;