If you want to prepare a natural, soothing muscle rub for back pain, then continue reading. Here is a chemical-free, soothing muscle rub that is easy to prepare at home.
Cayenne is the main ingredient in this recipe!
How Does Cayenne Provide Muscle Pain Relief?
One of the main active constituents found in cayenne, capsaicin, helps stimulate the release of “substance P” in your body. The inflammatory cells and nerve cells of your immune system release Substance P, which is responsible for helping your body perceive pain, and inducing the release of cytokines to trigger a healthy inflammatory response.
Furthermore, cayenne can also help dilate your blood vessels, thus allowing for more anti-inflammatory cells to go to the affected area. If you repeatedly apply cayenne, then substance P is released and depleted, thus elevating the threshold of pain in that area. This process is called pain desensitization.
This means that you feel less pain in that area, which allows you to take certain steps to help that part of your body heal. These steps include stretching, walking, physical therapy, exercises, cayenne muscle rub, and more.
Benefits of the Other Ingredients:
This cayenne rub contains additional ingredients that can help heal and relax your tired, achy muscles.
Ginger is a miraculous spice that has been used for centuries in Traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic Medicine. This spice has warming and anti-inflammatory properties. When used in a muscle rub, ginger helps boost blood flow. In addition, this helps new blood go to the area and bring with it new immune cells, thus getting rid of old blood containing inflammatory cells and relieving pain.
Turmeric is an incredible spice that has long been used because of its healing and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps decrease swelling and inflammation, thus providing pain relief.
Raw cocoa butter helps nourish your skin. Moreover, it is a great source of antioxidants and can be easily absorbed by your skin.
Coconut oil could also help nourish your skin. The antimicrobial properties of coconut oil make it an excellent base for this rub. Many studies have proven that this oil has remarkable anti-inflammatory and pain-alleviating properties.
Peppermint Essential Oil possesses menthol that could help relax your muscles and relieve pain. Peppermint helps cool the area. This means that there is a balance here with the peppermint and ginger. Ginger has an ability to warm the area as well as bring new blood flow and immune cells, whereas peppermint constricts your muscles and moves the blood along to eliminate waste.
Other Important Tips:
– You should take Turmeric capsules in order to alleviate arthritis pain. A study showed that taking 1500 mg of Turmeric capsules daily was as effective as NSAIDs at decreasing pain in knee osteoarthritis patients. That’s not all, turmeric supplementation did not trigger any side effects like NSAIDs.
– Consume enough water. Did you know that water plays an important role in carrying your blood around? Your blood possesses immune cells that wait to help lower inflammation. Remember that drinking lots of water on a daily basis is the key to healing. So, you should consume half your body weight in ounces of water daily. However, in case you want to heal an injured area, you may want to drink another 20 ounces for best results.
– Get some rest. If you suffer from chronic pain, then you should rest that area. Namely, in case you experience low back pain, lie down or sit with your legs up because it is usually beneficial.
Cayenne Joint & Muscle Rub Recipe:
- 4 oz. glass jar
- 2 tsp. of organic Cayenne powder
- 10 drops of Peppermint essential oil
- ¼ cup of raw cocoa butter
- ¼ cup of coconut oil
- 1 tsp. of organic Ginger powder
- ¼ cup of grated beeswax
- 1 tsp. of organic Turmeric powder
- Place the cocoa butter, beeswax, and coconut oil into a pyrex glass container. Then, place it into a saucepan that possesses two-three inches of water. Make sure that the pyrex rests in the water.
- Next, simmer the water. Stir it until the beeswax and cocoa butter are fully melted with the coconut oil.
- Afterwards, add the turmeric, ginger and cayenne powder and stir for about 60 seconds or until they are fully moistened.
- Remove it from heat and then add the peppermint essential oil.
- Transfer it into a glass jar right away and let it cool prior to closing it.
- Store it in the fridge. It typically lasts about 6-8 weeks.
- How to Use It:
All you need to do is apply it liberally to the affected area.
Note: Wash your hands after using it, because peppermint essential oil and cayenne can be too strong. Plus, turmeric could result in mild skin yellowing.
- Palmer, Sharon. ”Plant-Powered for Life”;
- Quillin, Patrick. ”The Healing Power of Cayenne Pepper”;
- Heinerman, John. ”The Health Benefits of Cayenne”;