Sauerkraut, also known as sour cabbage, is a form of fermented cabbage. It has been used in Central Europe for centuries thanks to its therapeutic effects. In fact, sauerkraut combines one of the healthiest foods, such as cabbage with one of the most useful food preparation methods, such as fermentation.
The only thing you should do is mix shredded cabbage with some salt and then pack it into a container. Moreover, the cabbage releases liquid and creates its own brining solution. As the cabbage is submerged in this liquid for a period of a few weeks, it slowly ferments into the crunchy, sour condiment called sauerkraut.
Unlike raw veggies, fermented foods like sauerkraut are extremely convenient because they can stay fresh for a longer period. This fermented food has been long used by many cultures as a main or a side dish.
A large number of people find its taste sour and bitter, but if properly prepared, sauerkraut offers numerous health benefits.
Here Is Why You Should Introduce Sauerkraut in Your Daily Diet:
– Enhances Digestion. Sauerkraut possesses high amounts of fiber that can improve digestion, support good digestive health, and promote weight loss. Additionally, the regular consumption of this fermented food can enhance the function of the bowels, and prevent cramps, bloating, and constipation. That’s not all, eating sauerkraut regularly can reduce your risk of developing serious health issues, including colon and stomach cancer.
– Lowers Inflammation. The anti-inflammatory agents present in the food can help decrease inflammation in your body. If consumed regularly, it can also alleviate the pain caused by inflammation.
– Boosts the Immune System. Sauerkraut is an excellent source of vitamin C. This vitamin can boost your immune system completely naturally. What’s more, high amounts of vitamin C can improve the production of white blood cells and collagen, and enhance cell regeneration.
– Increases Energy Levels. As a result of its high iron content, sauerkraut can boost circulation and metabolism, and increase your energy levels. Include this food in your daily diet to prevent fatigue, anemia, and headaches.
– Enhances Vision and Skin Health. The high content of vitamin A found in sauerkraut can improve your vision and skin health. Consuming foods rich in this vitamin can lower the appearance of wrinkles and redness, as well as decrease your likelihood of macular degeneration and cataracts.
– Builds Strong Bones. The high levels of vitamin K present in sauerkraut can improve the production of the protein crucial to the regulation of bone mineralization. It can help build strong bones as well as reduce your risk of osteoporosis.
– Improves Heart Health. The high amount of fiber present in this food can support good heart health. Namely, the regular consumption of fiber-rich foods can reduce your risk of cardiovascular diseases by preventing cholesterol build-up in your arteries.
– Decreases Your Risk of Cancer. It has been found that sauerkraut possesses potent antioxidants that can protect your body from the damaging effects of free radicals, thus reducing your risk of cancer. Free radical damage is known to be one of the main causes of cancer development.
- Hunter, Beatrice. ˮProbiotic Foods for Good Health: Yogurt, Sauerkraut, and Other Beneficial Fermented Foodsˮ;
- Kaufmann, Klaus. ˮMaking Sauerkraut and Pickled Vegetables at Home: Creative Recipes for Lactic Fermented Food to Improve Your Health (Natural Health Guide)ˮ;