There are different kinds of plants whose leaves are called “bay leaves”. However, the real bay leaf is scientifically known as Laurus nobilis. It is actually the nutrient-dense variety that is discussed in this article.
In fact, many other leaves have a similar aroma and appearance like real bay leaves, but they don’t have the same nutritional value. This plant is a small tree that grows in the Mediterranean region. Bay leaves have been a part of the medicinal and culinary culture for centuries, dating back to Roman times.
Moreover, the most incredible healing properties of bay leaves include their ability to accelerate wound healing, boost digestion, slow down the aging process, lower inflammation, detoxify the body, relieve respiratory problems, enhance heart health, regulate diabetes, prevent bacterial infections, and reduce the risk of certain cancer types.
There is also some evidence that suggests it may help fight skin infections, dandruff, joint and muscle pain, although further research is required to prove these uses.
Also, bay leaf is a part of aromatherapy and herbal treatments for many respiratory and skin conditions.
Other Benefits of Bay Leaves Include:
- Help treat varicose veins and joint pain
- Help you concentrate and boost your intellectual power
- Help calm down your nervous system
- Help boost your immune system
- Help induce sweating, thus detoxifying your body
- Help detoxify your colon
Homemade Bay Leaf Oil Recipe
Things You Will Need:
- 250 ml of extra virgin olive oil
- 30 g of bay leaves
Start by grinding the bay leaves and then pour the olive oil over them. Put it in a bottle or jar and close it tightly. Keep it in a cool and dark place for about two weeks. Make sure you shake the bottle occasionally. After two weeks, use gauze to strain the oil and then transfer it into another container. Store it into a cool place.
How to Use It:
- Apply a bit of the oil topically, if you suffer from migraines.
- If you suffer from joint pain, simply warm up the oil and apply it topically to the affected area.
- You can also apply it topically in order to help reduce your body temperature.
- Apply a bit of it topically to fight acne and pimples.
- Use it as a lotion to fight any skin problem on your face.
- You can get rid of varicose veins by applying it to the affected area.
- You can also use it to enhance the taste of your food.
- Cooksey, Terry. ”Natural Healing – BOOK of CURES: There Is A Cure For All Disease”;
- Pursell, JJ. ˮThe Herbal Apothecary: 100 Medicinal Herbs and How to Use Themˮ;