Turmeric is a super-food that has been used since ancient times in the treatment of many conditions. It is actually a spice, which offers exceptional therapeutic effects.
This spice has powerful anti-inflammatory properties, so than it can stop any inflammatory reaction in the body. Moreover, it can also regulate cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
Some German researchers have carried out a study showing that the spice inhibits metastases formation in those suffering from cancer.
Hence, by adding turmeric to your smoothies and consuming them regularly, you can fight inflammation, heal any wounds, tone the skin, improve digestion, metabolize fat, lower bad cholesterol, purify the blood, and decrease gas.
Turmeric also has strong analgesic, antiseptic, and expectorant effects. That’s not all, the spice also offers excellent antibacterial, anti-fungal, antiviral, and anti-carcinogenic qualities. Additionally, curcumin, which is the main active ingredient in the spice, provides it with a yellow color. Also, most of its healing properties are attributed to this active ingredient.
James A. Duke, who is an eminent ethno botanist, published the most thorough summaries of the health benefits of turmeric.
He actually reviewed more than 700 studies conducted on this spice. What he found was that turmeric is superior than many drugs when it comes to treating a few chronic diseases. However, he noted that the spice does not result in any side-effects.
Here Are Some Proven Therapeutic Effects of the Spice:
– Prevents and Treats Arthritis: Turmeric possesses over 24 anti-inflammatory compounds, such as 6 different COX-2-inhibitors, which can reduce swelling, pain, and inflammation. Furthermore, Duke found that curcumin has extraordinary anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing the symptoms of arthritis.
– Helps Prevent and Reduces the Symptoms of Alzheimer’s Disease: Unbelievably, Duke also revealed that there are more than 50 studies confirming that the spice helps in the treatment of Alzheimer’s. He pointed out that turmeric contains naturally occurring agents, which stop the formation of beta-amyloid. In addition, beta-amyloid is a substance that results in the plaques that interfere with cerebral function in Alzheimer’s patients.
– Helps Prevent Cancer and Stops Cancer Cell Growth: There are also over 200 citations for the medicinal properties of turmeric suggesting that the regular use of the spice is associated with cancer death. According to a study, turmeric and curcumin showed beneficial effects on the prevention and treatment of colon, mammary, liver, oral, prostate and esophageal cancer in animal models.
Considering all these findings, it is advisable to introduce turmeric to your diet. For instance, you can prepare turmeric tea, or add it in curried dishes.
Also, here is a recipe for turmeric smoothie that contains many powerful health benefits:
Although turmeric has a bitter flavor as well as a mildly aromatic scent, but if combined with sweet-tasting fruits, you will create a delicious smoothie.
- A cup of coconut or hemp milk
- A tbsp. of coconut oil
- A fresh banana
- Half a cup of mango or pineapple chunks (frozen)
- Half a tsp. of turmeric
- Half a tsp. of ginger
- Half a tsp. of cinnamon
- A tsp. of chia seeds
- A tsp. of maca (if desired)
All you need to do is blend the ingredients in a blender until you get a smoothie.
Take the turmeric smoothie on an empty stomach every morning to provide your body with energy, antioxidants, and clear your mind.
The regular consumption of this smoothie can help you lose extra pounds, keep optimal body weight, and prevent the development of a number of diseases.
- Majeed, Muhammed. ”Turmeric and the Healing Curcuminoids
- Davidson, John. ”The Magic of Turmeric For Health and Beauty”;